Fire Away is our fire resiliency program name, and it is everyone's goal: keep fire away from homes and infrastructure!
Our Fire Away program involves community outreach on resiliency actions, including:
- Creating vegetation removal buffers and strategic fuel breaks along the wildland urban interface
- Restoration and use of carbon sequestering native grasses to keep fuel loads down in recently burned areas
- Education on prescribed burns
- Understanding fire-safe ecosystems and the role of thinning of woodlands and forests
- Use of brush removal using emerging technologies and alternative approaches (goats and sheep)
- Creation/maintenance of defensible space within 100 feet of homes
- Home hardening actions
- Planning escape routes for home and community
Email us at admin [at] conservationworksnc.org to learn more.